Thursday, December 31, 2009

What's the deal with Moshi anyway?



For two years it was a blog about nothing but its back baby! Firstly, what the deuce is a 'Moshi'?

When I say 'Moshi' I am not trying to answer a phone in Japanese. Moshi is a town of oh, 180 000 people in the Kilimanjaro region of the United Republic of Tanzania. Yes I can use Wikipedia too. Its about 890 metres above sea level, about 40ish kilometres from Mount Kilimanjaro. Lotta coffee, some tourist traffic on the way to the Mountain. Home to the Maasai and Chagga tribes, as well (to my wife's excitement) the Kilimanjaro marathon.

So what's the deal with Moshi? Well, the wife (Franatee) and I are always keen for African adventures having loved the continent when we were there in 2008 (see our past blog of that trip in links-shameless plug). We've been offered the opportunity to volunteer with a HIV/AIDS charity in Moshi for a year. As you do. Franatee will offer small business advice while I (apparently) will offer some legal and rights advice. Its all a little hazy till we arrive in Arusha (look at the map) for two weeks of training before heading off to Moshi.




Just starting to pack now, fix leaky tubs, get tenants for the house, waiting on visas and confirmed volunteer contracts. Stay tuned!!

Manfred.

2 comments: