Saturday, March 13, 2010

We are here

Typing this in a sweltering hot internet cafe in Arusha.

Following the flight to Amsterdam, we sorted out the documents for the next leg pretty uneventfully. Cathay felt sorry for mucking up our plans so put us in Economy Plus seating on a KLM flight to Narobi. Love KLM. Lots of food and watched 'This is it' about 3 times. Flew over the Swiss Alps, which was breathtaking.


Finally got a twinge of panic about what the heck we are doing as we flew over Libya/Egypt over the vast tan desert of the Sahara...feel pretty insignificant.


Nairobi connection was the last bit of bureaucratic drama particularly as we were so exhausted...but we finally got to Kili International Airport and got let into Tanzania at 1150pm there time Friday 12th march, welcomed in by bats swirling around banana trees. Met our Massai volunteer liaison contact, hes cool. We stayed the night at the 'Spiritan House' a catholic dormitory in Arusha. Single beds. Woken up by the Muslim call to prayer at 530am...I did not attend.

Left the house with camera on hip for a walk was told to take the camera back to my room or risk getting robbed then went for a wander with Francoise in downtown Arusha. Mt Meru hangs over the town, strange crows and birds everywhere as we jaunt along. Feel a lot safer than South Africa. I saw the UN Rwanda Crimes Tribunal I was not supposed to take pics but I snuck on in. 2 soldiers/guards with Ak-47s lopping along. Francoise is kickin my butt with her Swahili knowledge, I just stand there with an idiot grin and shake hands 'Matt Damon'

We went for a tour of a typical poor community that we will be working with. People seem happy in their mud constructed abodes, lots of smiles, green and animals balanced by poor sanitation and limited opportunities.

It is so frikking hot and according to the volunteers we met for coffee Moshi is a lot hotter. This is like suck all the liquid out of your body hot. Sob. I miss the swiss alps...

1 comment:

  1. Well you've got internet access then I see. Glad you made it there okay!

    ReplyDelete