Franatee and I have finished two days of intensive Swahili training. We can now say we are not Finnish tourists and that we need a driver to take us to a farm. Ah, its good to get the basics of grammar construction though. I wish I had gotten those for English...
The language centre is pretty relaxed, a Danish not-for-profit learning centre. It is reminicent of a holiday camp in New Zealand. Albiet one with black and white Colobus Monkeys playing and hooting at you from the adjacent treetops.
After 3 weeks of relative isolation from other Westerners, its a nice change of pace to kick back with our fellow course mates that have ended up for various reasons in Africa. Even if some of them struggle with my New Zealand accent. There's the Danish lawyer working in the Kenyan Government that has some interesing insights into that neighbouring country, another Dane working for the UN in the small West African Republic of Benin, various Americans on various tasks, plus two other university volunteer Kiwis working in remote areas near the Serengiti. A shame they don't get all Franatee and I's 80's pop culture references..
I've been busy, as said, sinking some 'Tusker' brand beers, talking up my poor tennis skills then failing to play competently at tennis, doing Swahili homework and enjoying the scurvy fighting heapings of green vegetables. Its nice and cool and thus easy to sleep in Arusha compared to Moshi.
Hope to visit another National Park in an upcoming weekend if possible. That and I want to attempt to hunt down the rumoured sole kareoke bar in Arusha...
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment