Friday, April 16, 2010

'Sweep the leg'



Having spent too long being sedentary, I decided to try out an aerobics class on campus. It turned out to be a full on body combat class full of dancing, boxing moves, and roundhouse karate kicks set to Euro-trash electronica dance. I was sweating buckets after 20 minutes...I have a long way to go to be fit enough for the karate tournament.

That night, Francoise and I piled into a car with 7 other NZers living locally and went out to an-ex German colonial house, now a posh restaurant overlooking Lake Duluti for a bite. A surreal, guilty pleasure and definetely made you feel like a colonial interloper. Don't know if any of the photos we took of us hoeing into Bavarian Black Forest Gauteau are worthy to be published in a NZ volunteering magazine.

Drove home to the sonic pulses of Bats and the screechs of bush babies. There is a party tonight (Friday) to celebrate the end of the first week of class...

Update-

The party was a weird mix of soft merimba and salsa laden dance tunes and gyarating conga lines in a darkened dance room...both seemed very popular with the locals that came along...I did get into one 'dance off' situation with a local, luckily it ended with a truce before I passed out from the high knee lifts..

1 comment:

  1. Doug bro! Check this out!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbpwlqp5Qw

    As a Toto named blog, it'd be rude not to watch it.

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete