Tuesday, November 16, 2010

but I REALLY want to swim!

There's a public holiday (Idd Al-Udha) tomorrow. Rocking. I've managed to grovel my way into a group of visitors heading to Lake Chala for a day trip. Lake Chala is a crater lake sitting on the border of Tanzania/Kenya. I'd heard it is a picturesque area and you can sometimes see tembo (elephant) there. I'd contemplated a solo mission there at one stage but got dispirited when co-workers said I needed to firstly dala dala to a village, then ride on the back of a motor bike with a local off road for a bit...didn't seem the safest to do it alone.

While I'm stoked I'm going to get to see the lake-as I love water-I really want to swim in a lake as well. It sucked I could not swim in the inviting waters of Lake Victoria on my recent trip to Mwanza due to the parasites in that water. Lake Chala has other issues...big monstrous 20 foot long crocodillian resident issues, as a poor tourist found out in 2002:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/kenya/1387432/Crocodile-girl-told-that-lake-was-safe-to-swim-in.html

But surely if I don't swim at night, I'll be okay? Huh? Someone has to stand up for primates who want to swim unmolested in tropical fresh water lakes. Will Lake Chala be yet another inviting lake taunting me with hidden death in its murky depths? Why can I never swim here without worrying about random parasites or gigantic prehistoric reptiles? What are the odds really of a monstrous pair of Nile Crocodile jaws with a bite force of 4000psi clamping on my tender rump?

Sigh, I can see my wife glowering angrily at me (he is NOT swimming there-mke) so I'll leave it. For now.

Crikey, just wanna swim in a billabong, mate, without something having a go at me...



Anyway pics to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment