Safari time!
(Franatee writes-)
Met up with our friend for breakfast at a local café and chugged down some coffee to brace ourselves for working out how to catch the bus to Arusha. It was pretty crazy with different people shouting at us to get on their bus. (I think the bus drivers must pay them to do it cost they were pretty determined and almost came to blows). Lots of the buses had interesting slogans on the back, for example "Simba Video Coach" Some were a bit unnerving, such as "Neema ya Mungo" (Grace of God) and "God Protect Us" hmm.
Found a seat, but like so many forms of transport over here, there's always room for one more - including a man who started doing infomercials en-route. Doug held his bag of goodies while the man starting rattling off the bargains of the day in Kiswahili. There was aloe-vera soap, tooth-whitening toothpaste and the product dejour – thrush cream. I felt rather embarrassed for him but he didn't seem bothered as he animatedly gestured to where it could be used. We ended up buying some soap.
At each stop people came by the windows trying to sell stuff. I got my munch on with some roasted corn which tasted not-quite-popcorn-not-quite-corn-on-the-cob. After a two hour trip we finally arrived in Arusha and I was happy to discover that my legs still worked after the squashed ride. We have conquered Tanzanian buses unscathed! Now for the safari!
(Franatee interlude ends!)
So we hooked up with a tour company and did a day tour through Arusha National Park. While no elephant sadly, giraffe, baboons and buffalo were in abundance as was nice driving through rain forest with panoramic views.
(nice crater in background)
(buffalo and water buck)
(note buffalo in background are a safe distance from stupidly gesturing tourist)
Nice to have a break to chill out. Nice talking politics with tour guides. We go back to Moshi Easter Sunday then its clothes washing and more general house setting up dull stuff.

Speaking of giraffes...
ReplyDeleteThat giraffe shot was amazing. I bet Fran took it !
ReplyDeleteFran directed the shot but I pressed the buttons. That giraffe gives me a hankering for a giraffe tattoo again...now to find a safe tattoo parlour
ReplyDelete