Friday, May 28, 2010

Not the most uplifting blog entry...

Friday, two staff and I headed out to the Keni ward (near the border with Kenya) to check up on a 12/13 year old girl with HIV/AIDS that was apparently in a bad way.

We had no driver for a four wheel drive available so we chanced it in a sedan, while fearfully keeping an eye on the dark clouds ahead. The roads out there are bad and being trapped in a rained out road would not be the coolest way to spend a weekend. We met the girl and her grandparents and listened to their story. The grandparents have lost almost all their children to HIV/AIDS...graves are within view of the shack they live in.



Two elderly people having to care for a grandaughter with HIV/AIDS as well as try to subsist in a very poor area. They are doing their best in the circumstances and seemed to want the best for their grand daughter. Our organisation has given the family some livestock and is committed to keeping in regular touch. We passed them some supplies and had a village leader met up with us that day too and he is going to try to get the girl back into the local school. So a start.



I felt a bit guilty as we drove off, taking me back to the relative comfort of the office. When people say 'You don't know how lucky you are'...well I think I have a better idea now.

No comments:

Post a Comment