3 days without the internet makes the internet addicted tremble. There are big net supplier problems here apparently. I needed a break from writing project plans and 'Children Protection Policies' so took a day off to head to Arusha to catch some of the UN International Criminal Court...and possibly a movie too! So left the house at 530am and jumped on a crowded bus to Arusha. It was an ok enough ride (even with the Mariah Carey music), you start to become desensitized to jostling, people crammed together like sardines and screaming arguments in Swahili. Once in Arusha grabbed a taxi to the ICC. The Court which is prosecuting the perpetrators of the '94Rwandan genocide is pretty flash (to use a kiwi-ism). I mananaged to see all of quarter of an hour of it through glass and my translating headset before it went into closed session because of protected witnesses. I'd like to pop in there again some time. Where else but the UN do I get to ride and chat in a lift with a guard with a loaded AK-47 (I so wanted to ask to hold it)
I then endured obligatory draining hassling by hawkers of junk (you always get in Arusha around the clock tower) in order to try and find a Harry Potter book as an aid for a friend's English Language class.
I then taxied out to the Cinema...to find 'The Princess and the Frog' was the only movie playing. Well...as it started at 2pm and I didnt want to leave it too late to leave Arusha and...lets be honest I didnt want to tell my new ex-pat friends what I went and saw that day, I left the theatre and bused back to Moshi.
Long day.But I bought Oreos in Arusha. That made it worth it.
Thursday, May 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment