Thursday, May 27, 2010

Scaling back

I've just learnt that the budget to the NZ African volunteer programs is being reduced, in order to increase focus on Asia/Pacific development. While people already in the field are not affected, at least 5 people due to go to Tanzania and South Africa have had to be told they have been deselected due to budgetary reasons. Imagine getting that phone call.

I can totally rationalise a decision to focus NZ aid money on its immediate neighbourhood/trading partners. Why spend taxpayer money sending people to the other end of the world when it could be more cost effective to spend that money on NZ issues or in regions closer to home. I get it. I'm pretty apreciative of this opportunity I have.

I do have a nagging concern though...leaving aside the unique experience you can bring back from Africa to NZ, if development at its core is about alleviating need, where is the greatest need on this Earth? I have a non-evidence based gut feeling that more so than the Pacific it is Africa that faces the greater totality of human cost from poverty, disease, climate change, globalisation and other structural concerns. But I might be wrong.

I'm just thankful wifey and I came when we did. Something about hot irons and striking them. Life, like getting a perfect score in Singstar is all about timing.

No comments:

Post a Comment