Then it got odd.
Two table mates started arguing about whether people only go into medicine to make money, and our Swazi aquaintence started loudly extolling the values of white culture and cruise ships and lambasting Tanzanian's lack of education (shhh...keep it down man...)
I popped inside to play pool, leaving my wife and the Swazi guy chatting. I popped back out again to say hi, and the Swazi guy looked squeamish. He started talking about post-Aparteid South Africa, and how an Afrikanner ('Boers' he called them) had grabbed him around the throat for talking to a white woman. He said he did not want to be left alone with my wife...I tried to tell him this was not South Africa...anyway...thats when 3 big drunken Tanzanians (I guess after hearing his English and maybe some of his opinions about Tanzania) came up and tried to pick a fight with him because he was an African who could not speak Swahili at all (note-not all Africans speak Swahili!)
After a tense stand off,the Swazi guy and wife sidled inside...I'd had a beer or 2 so I thought 'what the heck' and went and sat at the table where the 3 angry Tanzanians sat glowering at me. (I tend to have a mutant gift of avoiding a beating while out and about on the turps.) At first they were suspicious (I think they thought I was a 'boer') but after speaking at length in Swahili with them, they seemed calmer. They were angry the Swazi guy didn't speak Swahili (I tried to explain he hadn't been here long..) and that he acted like an African-American (umm ok, I cant really comment on that...)They were just drunk and obnoxious, but I dont think they were violent.
Having left them, I went back inside, however the 3 big dudes soon followed and staunched out the Swazi guy. He wanted to leave and so I walked him in the dark to a dala dala stand. He was in 'South African' mode, talking about how he'd take them if one of them had a blade etc etc...I just wanted to go home.
Sigh, inter-African racial politics when I just wanted a beer.

No comments:
Post a Comment