Wednesday, September 1, 2010
White Men Can't Jump
A group of Maasai askari young men working as security guards have taken up residence in the vacated flat next door. I think they must provide security duties along the street, but they all like to hang out at the same place. Despite the annoyance their 3am outdoor cellphone calls cause (they must sleep really weird hours), they are always friendly when the wife and I get home panting pushing our bikes up to our gate. Lately, they have been performing (practising?) the traditional jumping dance of the young Maasai men just outside our house. It is a lot of fun to watch...I always wonder if they are gesturing me to practice my leaping with them, but there is a fine line between inter-cultural exchange and taking the pi$$, so I choose to be discrete. Besides, they can jump freakishly high, I'd be humiliated.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ah the joys of mobile phones permeating the globe. I guess it would be hard to ask them to keep it down a bit. Our neighbours are up all night too (catching taxis at 3am and smoking durries that waft into our kitchen) although I think they're students.
ReplyDelete