Wednesday, December 8, 2010

It aint about how hard you hit...

..its about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rocky Balboa

Mid week and I am a ball of fury. Monday I got a mild tut tutting for dressing too casually for a meeting...dude, its freaking boiling hot here I just wanted one day in my floral shirt and shorts combo...how did I know the Kenyan dignitary was turning up...sigh. Toilet was leaking. Dogs barking all night, so no sleep. No power, no wireless, no sodas (its so hot). Managers blatantly claiming sole credit for work I have done. Dodgy answers to straight questions. Of course the king hit was my computer getting fried by a surge after having pleaded with our procurement officer at least 20 times re: the need for a surge protector. I may have lost a ton of documents forever. I was spewing. I felt like strangling someone.

I won't even talk about the ridiculous voting competition at work to send a staff member on a trip anywhere in the world courtesy of a bank windfall due to donor money...please don't ask. Its ridiculous. Its bad enough seeing staff members 'campaigning' at work and only half-joking promising people at work $$ bribes for their votes for the trip.

So Tuesday night, I was pretty wound up. Ankle still impeding my jogging. Gritting my teeth all night in bed and thinking 'I cant do another 10 weeks of this madness'. Didn't sleep well. Wednesday I was going to have to do a long planned/postponed Wills/Inheritance Law presentation...its all complex, I was worried it was going to be a disaster.

But the surprising thing was....people were really engaged during the presentation. Asking questions, giving real life examples, reflecting on key points. They really got it. They were excited about having wills and wanting to tell others to have them. I was so happy. I think my 'How many cows do the male vs female children get under customary law' pie chart was the most meaningful diagram I have ever cobbled together in terms of impact on audience.

I've been asked to give follow up individual Will advice to staff. It's good because as they become more and more familiar with the topic, they can pass on their knowledge (as well as the Swahili Will Resources I crafted) to our HIV/AIDS clients.

Africa. Just when you are ready to scream in frustration and pack the whole bloody thing in, it surprises you with a little win...

No comments:

Post a Comment