
It is so hot at the moment. Like this is insane, and I'm used to the sun and heat by now. But this is getting nuts. Where did the 'short rains' go? Short indeed. And I think we are not at the hottest months yet (ie Jan/Feb.) Power cuts are constant now(I'm writing this on generator power) the Tanzanian electricity supplier is rationing power due to either lake levels low or poor maintenance or maybe both...
We got some bummer news on Friday, that some friends of ours in Moshi are calling it quits, cutting plans short and heading home. I think it just got too much for them; the apathy, the work politics, the constant feeling of being an 'outsider' etc etc. I am reflecting on how blessed we have been in our time here with friends, treats sent over from home, trips, quality time with the locals and crazy fun that has balanced out the not so good bits. It coulda all gone differently...
You gotta follow your bliss, no point staying somewhere if you are miserable. Safe travels, peeps.
Saturday, I did the first run since spraining my ankle. Its holding up okay, though lost a bti of strength. Can't complain about running past hornbills and a vista of Kili, listening to James Brown.
After the run the wife and I headed to Arusha to farewell Nico, a fellow kiwi volunteer and all round stellar bro. He is finishing his assignment and heading home. His mix of energy and laid back kiwi-ness will be much missed. After a sweltering bus ride, we met up with other kiwi volunteers at the Blue Heron for a luncheon. Good to have the brief times that we all get to catch up. My volunteer handler just shook his head to see my moustache and Hawaiian shirt combo.
After lunch, I popped with the wife to Njiro Mall to see whatever movie was playing...it turned out to be 'Eat, Pray, Love' with Julia Roberts. Shudder. The odd thing, was leaving aside it was a horrific car wreck of a chick flick, both the wife and I felt reverse culture shock watching the rich white characters on screen doing indulgent rich white things. Hm.
It was dusk and leaving the cinema-dodging the juxtaposition of a Muslim woman in a burqha next to a scantily dressed tourist,we headed to a rooftop party to farewell not only Nico but a host of Australasians who are heading home for Xmas. Stunning views of Mt Meru and the city by sunset. Good to meet a whole of host of the Arusha volunteer scene. They can certainly handle their liquor. I jumped on the sound system at various points in the night playing Michael Jackson, Crowded House and other timelost ditties. I blame my sore ankle for the poor dancing I did that night. People did love listening 'Killing in the name of' by Rage Against the Machine at least twice. Had a good yak to a South African ex-pat and not so good yak to a local hotel manager 'we will mandate our employees test and disclose their HIV status to us. AIDS is expensive!' cough unlawful cough.
The party went on and on into the wee hours taxing even my considerable stamina. Around 3am, I nestled down on the roof to sleep. Then the wife appeared 'I've got us a room in the hotel, c'mon' Choice. So we settled into our double room but I thought, I'll just go to the toilet one time before bed. Big mistake. Somehow trying to flush the toilet in the dark I (with my Kryptonian strength) ripped the toilet water pipe out of the toilet. Water jetted out in a hose everywhere. I started screeching like a drowned rat as (clean) water went everywhere. As my furious and exhausted wife went looking for help, I vainly tried to stop the room filling with water. I began humming 'Nearer My God My to Thee' as the toilet floor started to disappear under the waves.

The wife reappeared with an ancient security guard and a half asleep manager. Somehow they stopped the flow of the water and put us in a different room. The staff looked less than impressed with me...I can't help my strength!
We slept till 10am, went back to the roof to see the hardcore Australasians up and about. Grabbed a bite for brekkie, hugged Nico goodbye and headed back to the Mosh.
Sunday, seemed even hotter than Saturday. I was sweating buckets as our packed bus raced past the brown expanse between Arusha and Moshi. Where do the cattle get any grass to eat? 'Dust devils' ie whirlwinds of dust were everywhere on the dry plain. Got into Mosh and headed to the Keys Hotel for a dip in the pool. The wife instructed some locals there in the art of backstroke-classic. Proud the wife has gained swimming confidence in Africa.
Rest of the day, we tried to avoid moving in the heat of our house and I said goodbye to my Moustache, to my long suffering wife's delight.
A weekend of farewells...

No comments:
Post a Comment