Kilimanjaro is 19, 341 feet above sea level. It is the highest free standing mountain in the world.
It’s Friday. Just collected our last bits of gear, poles, jackets and yeti repellent (so weird to have to get cold weather gear this close to the Equator). Meeting the tour company on Saturday to talk strategy. Start climbing on Monday.
The first rule of climbing Kilimanjaro is that the wife returns safe and well. The second rule of climbing Kilimanjaro is...the wife returns safe and well!
Aside from that…I’m gonna give that Mountain hell. Get some hustle behind this muscle. Eye of the Tiger. I can keep up ridiculous 80's movie inspirational references all day. Yes, I'm a bit concerned about physical exhaustion, sleep and oxygen deprivation, asthma, fatal plunges, incompetent guides, high percentages of people who turn back etc etc. Just gotta hold onto my crazy self belief that heart will be just enough to get me through. Let's not talk about how the ankle I twisted a couple of weeks ago is still hurting a bit or that all the bug spray people are spraying around (as a lot of mosquitos at the mo) has brought my asthma back a bit...
Look, seeing panoramic photos of Kili in June 2009 is what sold this Moshi assignment to me in the first place, so now its time to take it bring it full circle. It aint over till its over. Gonna fly now.
Dunno when I’ll next update the blog, maybe sooner, maybe a lot later. Prayers for a successful, safe ascent appreciated.

'Yo Adrian, let's do this thing'

What about getting back down again? Good luck to you and Franatee!
ReplyDeleteGood luck! Don't do anything foolish up there Douggy!
ReplyDeleteLots of love from Kate Mat and Mia.
ME DID IT YAYYYYY
ReplyDelete