Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Juiced up Maniac

This blog entry has nothing really to do with Africa. Please ignore it and move to the next entry. It gets self indulgent. Yes, even more so than normal.

A few pieces of good news lately. Some co-workers have been stepping up, checking up on some sick clients of interest, backing my play re: refusing to pay the Govt Trainers for their poor HIV/AIDS prison training etc. Booking of travels within NZ in March is progressing (ie I got our Wellington volunteer office to contact travel bookers to tell them I was the real deal and not an African credit card scam!)

Today, more good news about a job waiting for me back home and-of most importance- some villains have been confirmed for Chris Nolan's upcoming third Batman movie 'The Dark Knight Rises' being Catwoman and Bane.

Who's Bane I hear you ask.

Just the strongman raised in a maximum security South American prison, created by writers to be an 'anti-Batman' who broke Batman mentally and physically in a long running 1990's cross-title story line. Who can beat Batman? This 16 year old wanted to find out, so fatefully put down his meagre Supermarket 'Produce Boy' wages into comic collecting.

Bane was the villainous trigger directly responsible for a lot of couple money fights, derision from my peers and unknown disposable income disappearing over the years into comics over the next 15 years. Infantile. Yet...maybe the steady diet of ridiculous two dimensional fisticuffs of men in spandex- as well as giving me a reduced attention span- in some subconcious way propelled me off into various human rights interests,if not African adventures. I dunno. I like the 'Pow! Biff! Bam!'

Dressing as Batman on my stag night in 2002 was definitely a life highlight. For one brief, alcohol mediated time (with a lot of support and trouble shooting from my friends that night) I was a super hero.

So when you see Bane up on the big screen in 2012, shake your head in derisive bemusement and think of me. Hell, I'll probably be sitting behind you in a Batsuit.

I am ridiculous. But I am happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment