Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cheeky weekend ahoy!

What's up with all the flying critters around at the mo? Our two resident owls cavorting on our driveway as streams of bats fly over at dusk; saw a grey hawk sitting in a tree as I biked to work, hornbills everywhere etc etc. Maybe looking for water as it is so dry? I dunno...

My marathon training has been a bit slack of late. Plus my remaining wisdom tooth is starting to ache again. What's the remedy for feeling tired/low? Deciding impulsively to do a weekend in Zanzibar, that's what! Going to Zanzibar hadn't really been at the top of my 'To Do' list here but heard some good feedback from chums who've been there on how interesting Zanzibar's fusion of Arabic influence/Tanzanian culture is. Plus it has beautiful beaches. It's like the Serengeti I guess...you can't come all the way to Tanzania and not see it.

Just a quick in and out though. Fly there Sat morning, wander Stone Town (ie the main town and former capital of the Zanzibar Sultanate), then Sunday/Monday hang out on Jambiani Beach. I'd like to so swimming/snorkeling but I've heard the water is ridiculously hot at the moment..plus full of jellyfish. Would love to see a whale shark, giant sea turtle or something epic....we'll see.

Mustn't forget our Yellow Fever certificates. There's been a big outbreak of Y.F in the north of Uganda so Zanzibar is demanding to see evidence of vaccination.

No doubt there will be pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment