Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Will vs Skill

How strong is a gorilla? I mean really?

We've all heard the hype.

'as strong as 20 men'
'one of the strongest land mammals on Earth'
'able to bend tempered steel, pull people's arms off etc etc'

But looking on the Net, there seems to be very few ACTUAL empirical studies made of gorilla strength. I've never met anyone who has seen a gorilla do some super human feat of strength. Have you? All I've seen is shots on TV of gorillas sitting around looking bored eating shoots and what not.

Surely, I owe it to science to test once and for all: can a human adult of average physical condition take a punch from a fully grown 600 pound Silver back male gorilla. I'm not talking about harassing gentle great apes...just a friendly inter species good will exhibiton of strength.

(Three 6 Mafia's 'It's a Fight' plays through Manfred's deluded brain)

Not that I want to get into arm wrestling or any form of grappling, I think a gorilla would own me in that field...I'm not suicidal. But a cheeky tease of a gorilla and a resultant quick jab from the Simian in March '11...that may be survivable? Huh?

'I got punched by a gorilla': that's the dinner party story that you can dine out on for the rest of your life!



Sigh. Also just heard from our Volunteer Organisation back home (why didn't I just keep quiet) we will get no travel insurance cover while in the Bwindi Forest...stupid MFAT travel warnings. Guess for protection I'll just have to take those surplus Russian grenades I have lying around then...

No comments:

Post a Comment