Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Day by Day

Gotta lot of loose ends to tie up, less than 1.5 weeks of work to go. Then I got an urgent query from a fellow volunteer about land law and what legal power allows the displacement of a whole village...arrgh, I freakin' hate Tanzanian land law.

Feeling flat all week, monitoring the news from home and the steadily increasing death count from the Christchurch earthquake. Those are my brothers and sisters. It's been dislocating to have the normal life of Tanzania rolling on around us, while a tragedy is going on at home 1000s of kilometres away.

Yet I am uplifted by the stories about Kiwis pitching in in small and big ways to help each other. My respect for my sister nursing and giving triage in that devastated landscape is off the chart, so proud.

Last night the wife and I went and had dinner with a manager and her husband at their house. I think I needed that family kinda vibe at this time. It was relaxing chatting outside (no power) as bats, hedgehogs and the odd monkey capered around. I'll miss the human connections you make with people after being in a context for a while. Having a meal. Sharing a joke. Giving and recieving sympathy. There is more that makes us 'the same' than makes us 'different'.

No comments:

Post a Comment