Sunday, February 13, 2011

Counting Down

'Surfing's the source man... swear to God.'
Kid in surf shop, Point Break

This post has nothing to do with surfing...just wishing I was back at the beach. Sigh.

Woke up early (like 3am) Friday morning with a lot of mouth pain...so Friday (after begging the wife to come as moral support) went off-by bus then a taxi with a sticker proclaiming 'this vehicle protected by the Blood of Jesus'-to the Seventh Day Adventist Dental Clinic in Arusha for a checkup. I really don't want a tooth extracted in Africa. Let alone the risk of HIV, botched surgery or whatever...I just don't want to waste days recovering when I have so little time left.

The dentist said I have a wisdom tooth impacting far above the gumline...as he can't pull that one out he suggested ripping out the one in front of it.

I just said prescribe me lots of pain killers and I'll try to hold out until I'm back in NZ. He just shrugged and asked me if I can take pain. I guess so.
Trudged off, watched a terrible Johnny Depp film 'The Tourist' at the Njero Cinema then rode back to Moshi with a mate, Daudi who wanted to run with us the next day.

Saturday morning we did a shoddy 1.5 hour run along the main road from Moshi to Dar Es Salaam while a drunk guy pestered us. So not ready for the marathon in two weekends..

The rest of the weekend, I seethed about a lack of water/power, felt jubilant as some small rain came down and otherwise was absorbed in a non-fiction book about Louis Zamperini, a runner at the '36 Olympics in Berlin, a flyboy in WW2, castaway on a raft in the Pacific for 30 days, subsequently held captive by the Japanese until 1945. Amazing, amazing story from the author of 'Seabiscuit'. I suppose I should read that book too. Love my Amazon Kindle.

At the staff meeting this Monday morning after a darkly funny Swahili rendition of 'Nearer my God to thee' ie the Titanic sinking song, we were told we could have next Friday off due to a Muslim holiday. Yes! Planning with our mate Intrepid for a cheeky long weekend at a campsite near the Rift Valley, yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment