Sunday, March 6, 2011

Uganda Prolouge

Writing this in an internet cafe in Kamapala, Uganda. Friday, was of course our last day at work. We got cool kitchy gifts and interesting farewell speeches. I dispute the assertion by the Country Director that I was twice the size of what I am now when I started there...but thanks for the compliment...I think. Got given a cake also as a farewell gift...had to carry it home past children shrieking for cake at the local primary school, sigh.

Saturday was a blur of shifting, packing, a Kiwi volunteer farewell luncheon (it was nice...but started feeling dislocated, like what the heck is going on..Im leaving?), then magaritas at Dr Bob's, 80's music,dancing, peaking early, feeling sad, sending melancholy texts...power cut. Finished the night listened to Queen (power back!) and debating insights into post-apartheid South Africa with Daudi. Good times.

Will write about Uganda/photos another time, but all I will say at the mo is
1)biggest UN airbase in East Africa YEAH! this plane geek loves the ex-Soviet cold war surplus cargo planes now working for the UN
2) so weird being in a different African country to Tanzania. It's so...polite and ordered so far...hm...
laters!
long drive tomorrow...all day to get within range of gorilla tracking...wish me a safe gorilla baiting time!

No comments:

Post a Comment