Friday, September 10, 2010

Not the best night, no

Writing this up in Arusha, off to hang out this weekend with the other kiwi volunteers. Long story short, guy tried to mug me last night as the wife and I (complacently) wandered home in the dark after a bite. He grabbed me from behind then, POW POW, hit me twice in the side of the face, I fell down, staggered around, managed to yell and hold onto my stuff and jostle him away. I think he put all his power into those 2 punches, cos as the wife yelled for help, his attempts to grab my bag were pretty feeble.

He made a last feeble grab at the wife and as I lurched towards him covered in blood (by now my brain over the intial shock and in fighting mode) and as another guy ran up to help us, the mugger realised it was all too much work and ran off into the bushes... I had a lot of blood on me shirt from a gash in my lip, we made it back to a taxi stand and got workmates to run us to an A and E...got 3 stitches in my chops...the guy must have had a ring on as he whacked me.

You're never ready for these things but (trying to be upbeat) at least, he didn't get anything, my wife was safe and I didn't get knocked out or more badly injured. And I now know I can take a few punches to the head and keep on moving forward for the final round. Talking subsequently to locals, apparently the area we were walking past is a bad one...doesn't surprise me, there was no lighting at all. As said, very glad it wasn't worse.

So, I've learnt a painful lesson about being sensible. Now to try and eat soft food, while having some fun this weekend to cheer me up with the kiwis. (waits on angry emails from parents)

2 comments:

  1. Doug you're so staunch. You love it really. You'll be dining out on this story for years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting a lot of my material for my memoirs

    ReplyDelete