Wifey and I want to do a trip somewhere in August. Both of us are interested in seeing Rwanda, because of its recent history, beautiful geography and (I've heard) welcoming people. Plus I want a gorilla skin rug. However, there is an election in Rwanda on August 9th. Elections in Africa can sometimes turn out to be a bit more...spirited than those in New Zealand. Thus far (as reported in another blog entry) there have been at least 2 random grenade attacks in Kigali, possibly linked to the upcoming election. According to the press, in advance of the election the Rwandan government is cracking down on freedom of the press, opposition parties (with arrests and possibly one beating) and the atmosphere seems a bit tense.
The converse is the average tourist may not interact with any of that stuff, especially if they are off in National Parks or whatever. Do you let isolated incidents keep you at home or not? Wifey and I have been having a lot of discussions.
NB-No parents need to panickedly respond in email to this entry. Wife and I are trained professionals, we'll make a considered call. That GS rug will really tie the room together.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I see you more in a gorilla suit than a rug....
ReplyDeleteyou could always move it move it in Madagascar...
ReplyDeleteWell, at least 50% of your combined parental units don't really read this...
ReplyDelete