Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dat was a good weekend

Franatee had arranged to go into Arusha Saturday to pick up our volunteering allowance and also have her hair done, with a friend, by an ex-pat hair dresser (who just happens to be originally from Auckland). While she was going there I was keen to strike out alone and check out a waterfall near the foothills of Kili about 50km away by daladala (minibus). However, after being mercilessly mocked by my wife as a girly man who wants to sit under a waterfall alone and write poetry, I succumbed to marital bullying and went with my wife to Arusha...no waterfall for me.

The hairdresser was situated in this massive colonial style coffee plantation, adjacent to a rugby field where a motley gaggle of white ex-pat folks watched teams playing. While the ladies had their hair done, I hung with my mate John by the field had beer in hand watched Mauritius limbering up for a rugby match with Kenya. A sound system was booming out some of the worst soft music I have heard in Africa yet. You cannot play Cyndi Lauper's 'True Colours' or Mariah Carey in the background to a game of rugger.

Women suitably hair-cutted, we stuffed ourselves at an Ethiopian restaurant before heading back to Moshi. I want to move to Ethiopia, I love their food. I know, I was surprised too.

Sunday Franatee and I went for a run at the hottest part of the day. We did a halting 30 minutes, drenched in sweat, finding it hard to breath in the hot air and cope with the sun directly overhead. Oh well, at least there was a nice river and cornfields to run alongside. Got home, got cleaned up and headed to our American neighbours to meet up with another Kiwi volunteer and watch the NZ/Italy game.

What an awesome show-we were screaming at that NZ goal in the first 10 minutes or so. The rest of the game was just as entertaining. On ya Kiwis! Rum shots, soccer, friends and a good result for NZ, I couldn't be happier.

1 comment:

  1. There's an ethiopian restaurant around the corner from our place where Ray insists he got food poisoning and that we never go there again - except I ate the same food and was fine so I suspect he just over indulged.

    ReplyDelete