Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Legend Day

I've never been THAT much of a soccer watcher, that said people in Africa are obsessed with it and its been pretty cool watching some of the games in Africa's World Cup so far.

The mornign of NZ's first game of the 2010 cup, wifey and I biked off to work in NZ caps excited for the 230pm (our time) NZ/Slovakia match. People in the office were in good spirits, jibing with me about NZ's chances and wishing us well. While Francoise had to go drop off more animals with villagers, I took the afternoon off as leave, did a quick jog, then settled down with some mates to watch the game. Francoise turned up for the second half just in time to see Slovakia score, doh. 45 tense minutes later, we were all resigned to defeat before that AMAZING NZ goal in the last 30 seconds of the game.



The look on our American friend's faces went from resigned sympathy, to shock, to awe in the space of seconds as Francoise and I screamed in delight. We ran out into the street, waving our caps and shrieking about New Zealand to any passers by. One final impromptu haka at our house later and we are now confirmed football fans and hankering for the NZ/Italy match 530pm Sunday our time! There have been many high fives and hugs at work today, quite touched that our workmates are really happy for us.

GO THE ALL WHITES!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so over the soccer - can't wait for the TDF to start!!

    ReplyDelete