Friday, July 2, 2010

Bzzzzzzz

I will never get used to the monster wasps here...ever. Its been cooler lately as we are in 'winter' (ha ha Wellington) so wasp sightings have lessened. But today as I was just trying to peacefully work at my computer, this foul yellow and black beast droned in from somewhere and started hovering around my face, darting in and and back,cruel mandibles gnashing. I HATE how their big yellow and black striped legs look hanging down from their elongated venom filled bodies as they circle menacingly. They track movement apparently, my colleagues in the room assured me if I sat still and relaxed it would not chase me....I sat there for 2 minutes, beads of sweat forming before cracking and suppressing a shriek, racing for the door. I think I have lost respect in my African male co-workers eyes....but at least I did not get stung...

For those people who asked for a picture of the wasps, being always short of a camera when they turn up, I made a scaled mock up comparing the size of people to the wasps:


I will have nightmares about them long after I have left the Land of the Gods.

No comments:

Post a Comment