Saturday, I coaxed Francoise to do an uphill run to an area she had seen on one of her field visits that had nice views of the surrounding area. She did warn me it was at least a 2 hour run away. We ran uphill about 45 minutes solid then the rest was a blur of walking, panting and half jogging constantly going uphill over hard crater-like dirt roads. Past coffee plantations, a long line of coffin makers near a local hospital, children begging for money or sweets and people busting their guts laughing at my attire. I was wearing the classic kiwi black singlet in the interest of cultural exchange and locals found it hilarious. After a long time, we finally reached our destination, Kibosho Hospital 1400 metres above sea level on the slopes of Kili. It was a bit cloudy but still spectacular views of forest and plains stretching out towards the mountains in the distance.
(shattered)
(Found a nice Catholic church and seminary near Kibosho hospital)
The long walk back (we were too sore to run) was 4 hours of agonised trudging, all the while having to be upbeat for the countless well wishers and locals wanting to say hello. We collapsed in a bar not far from home for sodas and our first experience of the local culinary delight 'chipsy mayai' which is an oddly addictive omelet and fried chips combo. We finally got home, showered then had sun downers at a friend's house. We had earned it.
Sunday we got up at dawn, as I had to bus into Arusha to find a dentist. My mouth's been hurting for a bit and I wanted to sort it out before I go away for a holiday this weekend coming up. Thanks Franatee for coming with me! Bused into Arusha and found the dental clinic (run by Seven Day Adventists) to be surprisingly modern. I did like the radiation suit style vest I had to wear though for their old clunky X-Ray machine though. The Tanzanian dentist looked like he was going to cry for joy to see my pampered well kept teeth. Good old Hawkes Bay fluoridated water.
So the issue is I have a wisdom tooth (my last one left dammit!) impacting above the gum line...its too high up to do anything yet...I'll have to go see the dentist again in 2 or 3 months. I really, really, really don't want dental work done in Africa. Is that cool?
Ah well, what will be etc etc

No comments:
Post a Comment