Monday, August 9, 2010

BIRTHDAY MISSION



Survived the daily almost-getting-creamed-by-a-bus on the bike and a power blackout yesterday to resume da blog today.

Last week, a kiwi volunteer was celebrating her birthday in Arusha with some other Kiwi youngsters, so the wife and I thought what the heck-ROAD TRIP. Despite misgivings about turning up to the A-Town bus terminal at usiiko ie night, we jumped on a bus after work Friday. A nice dusk drive with a good view of Mt Meru as we got nearer. We got in around 7pm, met one kiwi at the stop, grabbed the beers, got round to the party, grabbed the guitar, turned on the tunes and got down to celebrating. The birthday girl in question actually turned up fashionably late, having to motorcycle/speed taxi down from her digs in Kiratu (near Ngorongoro Crater).

I begged...I mean we all decided to go out to Colobus, the local karaoke bar. We rolled there, hooked up with more Kiwis and others from the language school at USA river (ie the school my wife and I went to in April) and off the night went. Pulled out some karaoke favourites...gotta love the local karaoke hog who told Franatee a song was hers when I had in fact picked it for us. Ugly. Not as ugly as watching my wife and female chums on the d-floor get swarmed by local guys. Ah, all pretty harmless, I like to play the part of the ultra possessive hubby and have Tanzanians come up to me to apologise solemnly for dancing with my wife. We stayed out till 4am, then crashed on the floor of the flat on cushions, ah student days...

Woke up to a cold shower and randomly ACDC's 'Thunderstruck'. After a Chipsy Mayai for brekkie, wifey and I went and saw 'Toy Story 3' at the Arusha cinema. There were a wazungu volunteer couple taking a lot of street kids to see the movie. Not sure if I think that's an awesome gesture or whether it creates a positive yet passive experience for the kids involving an American film (about toys none of those kids will ever be able to afford) hosted by the whitey volunteers. Would a Tanzanian hosting a Tanzanian film be more empowering? Or am I over thinking it? Ah, development.

er...Rex the dinosaur is my favourite.

After the film, bused back to Moshi (enduring an all too common fist fight between the bus driver and guy on the street that almost ends in the pedestrian dying when the driver of the bus drives off dragging the pedestrian by his shirt in the way of oncoming traffic).

Sunday, chilled most of the day playing the Nintendo DS, did one gutbuster 30 minute run that day so I didn't feel too guilty for playing Mario games all day.

So a fun weekend, gotta love those kiwis.

Also, a workmate saw I was a bit dejected yesterday about a piece of work that was not moving anywhere and said to me 'this is just me friendly speaking...but you have done a lot. you have done a lot' Got a bit misty, nice to know I'm not a complete waste of a volunteer branded tee shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment