Friday, August 20, 2010

Finally a day with some wins in it!

We had a staff meeting today. Francoise and I with some good back up from other staff, forcefully argued to management that we cannot wait on reporting cycles/glacial bureaucracy to get our warehouse full of food moving to needy children.

The decision was handed down that any 'special cases' of malnourished kids can start getting the food immediately. Yes! Some of those kids are demonstrably at death's door so that's a small win.

I also delivered some gender norms/rights training to staff today to glazed faces...sigh. Oh well, gotta start somewhere.

But the thing I'm most happy with is that a local legal aid NGO reviewed a heap of material I had crafted on Wills, Property and Inheritance and given it the green light. Was so happy, as Tanzanian inheritance law is a frickkin nightmare both to interpret and in application to people. Basically the default position is-if you are a widow, you get no inheritance, it all goes to male relatives/children. So women need wills to opt out of that system.

Can start rolling that training out to people soon.

So despite stomach cramps due to dodgy chicken and a lack of sleep lately I'm feelin chipper now. Hope to do a run this weekend and pop back to Arusha Sunday to welcome a new kiwi volunteer coming in.


"good doug!"

No comments:

Post a Comment