Monday, August 30, 2010

Boundary Hill Lodge/Tarangire National Park Part 1

Our friends had recommended we stay at the remote Boundary Hill Lodge near the outskirts of Tarangire National Park. The Lodge utilizes local community shareholding, with the Masai village of Lokisale owning 50%. 164 square kilometres around the lodge have been set aside by the Lokisale Village as a conservation area.

Once I knew I’d be surrounded by elephant day in and day out I was sold. Our bags packed, we were picked up Thursday at the main road near our house and taken to Arusha. There we met our guide (“Lazarus...like the bible”). We were given a short briefing and told under no circumstances to go outside at night or walking by ourselves. Aside from many elephant, the area is full of leopards, apparently.

Lazarus drove us north of Arusha and off road for 45 kilometres to get to the Lodge. We drove past traditional Maasai boma, herds of cattle and children begging for money: "Hello-money-money." We were told elephants regularly pillage the Maasai’s maize crops at night. Then we left the people behind and we drove past hornbills, a dead (headless) python, zebra and elephants sheltering from the afternoon sun under a tree.



We got to the lodge and wow...what an amazing view from our room overlooking mile after mile of savannah.

(view from the balcony of our room)
I was ecstatic to see a bath on our balcony so I could get some tub time while looking out at Africa. The sounds of Africa drifted over us-birds, hooting, grunting. We heard a lion roar as we sat down to lunch and all living things suddenly went silent.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment