Thursday, August 12, 2010

A good yet depressing work chat

Typing after a fascinating chat with a co-worker who is demoralised as to why the HIV/AIDS infection rate in sub-saharan Africa remains above that of the number of people treated. Why is the prevention message not working here? AIDS is not a new thing...Uganda has been hitting the epidemic with all guns blazing since the 1990s, a success story in a lot of ways.

I liked being able to give my frank (condescending?) muzungu perspective. My glib answer is that many of (if not the majority) women here are still not empowered to say 'no' to dangerous situations. That's a polite way of me saying I am unhappy with how women are traditionally treated here. Add this to a culture that traditionally lauds men who have multiple, concurrent partners and...off you go. It aint rocket science to me.

My co-worker wholeheartedly agrees with my detached assessment. I mean I am detached. I get to go home to lattes, healthcare and movies after this short stint.
I bought and drank 2 red bulls in a row yesterday. That is an unthinkable luxury to my co-worker and the other staff.

He has to live with an ongoing nightmare epidemic in his country, that is not abating. He told me he is scared in 50 years, all the Africans will be gone due to AIDS. I'm not sure of his maths but I dunno...where does this all end? Its such a vile, expensive, gradual, horrible, wasteful way to die. Lets not forget that as we focus on the positives of helping people with HIV/AIDs have a good quality of life.

We need a vaccine like now.

No comments:

Post a Comment