Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Power of One (bout of stomach ailments)

"I can eat 50 eggs"

Ugh. The 'dodgy chicken' I alluded to in my last post became full blown stomach issues. I've felt nauseous for days now, been off work for a bit...oh well, maybe its good for weight loss...shooting myself up with random antibiotics our volunteer organisation gave us.

I first felt really ill trying to do a short run on Saturday. And no, it wasn't solely due to the (actually fly blown) dead dog lying on the path as we jogged past, gagging. That's when I thought 'yeah, nah' I ain't going to Arusha this weekend.

We spent the weekend quietly helping our American friends pack up and sadly seeing them on their way. Franatee is devastated the dog she pooch-sat on numerous occasions is off. I'll miss some good people who have been great to road trip and just chill out with.

Bye 'Dragline', my good ole Southern Boy!! Cool Hand Doug will come visit you and mke wangu in Mwanza baadaye!


"City Hall"
Got back to work today (still feel queasy) to find one of my workmates (he's a good guy, I enjoy working with him) has been elected a MP for the ruling party. I had no idea he was even interested in politics!Wow...how did he get time for 2 months of campaigning as well as working here? He will resign in the next day or so and move to Dar Es Salaam to be sworn in and begin receiving his 7 million shilling per month salary.

I hope his good heart will survive the corrupting influence of what passes for politics here. I'm confident he will prove an ally to health causes in this country.

I'm just ecstatic he got elected as opposed to the other person at work. Staff seem scared of that person and their connections-that person gets away with (metaphorical as far as I am aware) murder. The person is a weird mix of strident political ambition, arrogance, misogyny,laziness, atrocious work and utter idiocy. He is easy fodder for mocking...I'm trying to be on my best behaviour eg this person loves Robert Mugabe and how he deals with Europeans.

I have seen the banality of evil and it is this Muppet and I pray he is never in a position of power in Tanzania.

"Onwards and upwards"
With our new MP on the move, our staff is looking a little depleted of late. We have food, medicine, water purification kits etc all piling up in the warehouse either due to bureaucracy or lack of people power to get it moving.I'm getting some steam on my legal rights work and I hope not to get pulled into (admittedly important) business as usual too much.

Wifey and I are supposed to be off for a few days near Tarangire National Park tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll finally bag my trophy tusker. Expect pictures and war stories soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better soon Doug - sounds nasty!

    ReplyDelete