
"I keep this city safe…even if it’s safe by just one person…and I do not ever give in or give up” Detective Comics 853
It's been a tough week. A lot of introspection as to 'what am I actually achieving' versus the enormity of the ingrained apathy, poverty and maddening bureaucracy here. Not to lay blame on external forces and duck responsibility but man, its taking a lot longer than I would like to get some key things done.
Yet some fundamental things keep me going:
-that I am sharing the good and bad times with my wife.
-a belief (however deluded) that I am here because I am meant to be here.
-the exponential amount of life experience, dare I say personal growth, I am getting from this time even from the daily frustrations
-that the good always counterbalances the bad here. For every instance of corruption or negligence, there is a smiling child, locals sharing a joke with us, a beautiful sunset or a fun time on safari.
-finally, small positive changes can always be made to anything. One thing I am proud of achieving here so far involved directly improving the quality of life for just one sick young girl who may have otherwise fallen through the cracks. Just one amongst thousands. But Im very proud of dat.
Bring it on Africa, Dougman is still standing!

For some reason I now have an unwanted mental picture of you in your batman outfit...
ReplyDeleteBatman outfit! Best stag night ever!!
ReplyDelete