Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Gonna Fly Now

Wow, so guy in office seeking a bribe writes down the names of everyone in the office(including volunteers) without their knowledge so if he's ever caught he won't be the only one taking a fall...Muppet.

Anyway...

Hmm, yeah so I've kind of registered to do the Kilimanjaro Full Marathon. A gruelling 42km uphill course on the lower slopes of Kili. Let me explain. As you know, my wife is a marathon runner. She's done 3 already. I'm more of a sprinter than a long distance runner. Kind of like a cheetah. I find long distance running..well a bit boring/taxing. The longest running event I've ever done is the 'Round the Bays' Wellington 7 km fun run.

Anyway, the wife was super keen to do the marathon but it is hard for her to get the training in, especially if she is running alone. Moshi is a little bit less safe than Petone (marginally). So, I kinda got sick of her looking down that she was not going to be able to train for the event. Plus, for some reason I'm running more frequently in Africa (more stuff to look at on the runs perhaps) and my asthma (girly man) is doin' well. And then when I heard another NZ volly is going to do the marathon as well, that clinched it.

Plus, who doesn't want to pull out at some future dinner party 'Oh yes, and then of course I ran the Kilimanjaro marathon, darling..'

Its going to be a horrific run, uphill and getting steadily hotter as the day goes on. Did I mention I have not done any long distance running before?! Will start training in earnest to the Rocky theme song in November. Don't care what my time is, I'd just want to cross the line at some stage before nightfall. I have made the wife promise not to burn me off and make some effort to stay with me and coax me along...

Sob 42 kilometres. Yeah, I may just be dreaming/biting off more than I can chew. I got a bit freaked out when a mate who does a lot of running said you'd have to be insane to do a full marathon. But then my wife is run 3 and she seems to think with some training I can give it a good go...or maybe she's setting me up as payback for when I burned her off in 'Round the Bays' hm....

I just wanna go the distance...I figure if I can survive getting hit by a bus on my stag night while wearing a Batman suit, I'm unkillable.



(KCMC road on the marathon route, our new flat is just off this road. Snapped this last night after work)

'I'm not hurt at all. Didn't you know? They can only kill me with a golden bullet.'
Lawrence of Arabia

No comments:

Post a Comment