Friday, October 1, 2010

All roads lead to the Mile

We have green lino in our new flat. You can watch the green floor go through from the Kitchen/Dinning Area to the Lounge, to the Bedroom and then the Toilet/Shower Combo. I have thought at least once before it reminds me of the movie 'The Green Mile.'

Now stay with me.

I crafted a gigantic Child Protection/Abuse Manual/Document/Staff Workbook thing months ago. Shout out to mke for her common sense input/review. It has sat with the boss in silence for a long time. I tried to get feedback on it but not a peep. I thought maybe it was too dense or un-user friendly or something. Then suddenly a week ago, I found it had been passed (without me knowing, tut) onto a UNICEF contact for their input...so I promptly got in touch with the UNICEF person. Good to have someone else to look at it.

Stay with me.

We have had a couple of Kenyans here the past week from our Kenyan (duh) office giving input into a big EU project that's underway. I haven't had too much to do with them...except...I must say...one of them is a huge guy who looks exactly like the character John Coffey from...that's right, The Green Mile.

So I'm working at my desk Friday afternoon, when this giant bear man suddenly appears and starts telling me (in a booming baritone) how he has to go now but Kenya is really excited about my 'child document'. And WHACK he gives me this big CLAP on the back. He says he can't wait to see it, great work, I need to come to Nairobi immediately etc etc. I'm just blinking and smiling nervously as his huge paw claps up and down on my tender back....as he leaves he hands me a business card and his name has the initials 'J.O' But the second letter of his last name is a 'C'...its almost J.C!!

From silence, to UNICEF to The Green Mile. I'm ecstatic to get some movement on a big piece of work, thank you John Coffey!

No comments:

Post a Comment