http://www.dailynews.co.tz/home/?n=13514&cat=home
The incident happened on September 29th...um why yes this is the operator we had planned to balloon with why do you ask? The only balloon operator in the Serengeti, these are the first fatalities in many years of operation. From what I can gather, high winds (it is windy in Moshi too, something to do with the dry, hot air? I'm not a meteorologist) pushed the balloon into some hills and everyone fell out. Hard.
Investigations are underway here but unlike in NZ-where I'm pretty sure a tourist operation would be suspended pending the outcome of an investigation-the balloons are still flying. The operator's website details new wind speed/ceiling/no fly area requirements. So they seem to be front footing it. I imagine they are being ultra cautious at the mo...another incident would probably sink the operation for good.
My take on it? I'm relaxed. Shortly before I cage dived in South Africa in 2008, some tourists drowned in a cage when their boat capsized. There is risk in everything. What matters is whether the risk is a calculated and reasonable. And that I have a parachute to wear.
Still hoping we get a balloon shot, but it won't be the end of the world if it doesn't happen.
Tuesday, October 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment