Gonzo journalism is a style of journalism that is written subjectively, often including the reporter as part of the story via a first-person narrative.
Gonzo journalism tends to favor style over accuracy and often uses personal experiences and emotions to provide context for the topic or event being covered...Use of quotations, sarcasm, humor, exaggeration, and profanity is common.
I think I was in the middle of some emotive point about something ridiculous on Saturday when a chum said for a second I reminded him of Hunter S Thompson, the father of gonzo journalism. The Hawaiian shirt I had on probably helped the illusion. The comment reminded me of the Journalism paper I did in my last year at varsity. (ps while never a huge fan of Hunter S, I did enjoy The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe.)
As I like to obsess on irrelevant detail long after no one else cares, I have been subsequently thinking about to what extent a person's travel blog could constitute 'gonzo journalism'.
I suppose this blog-if I strain the meaning really hard-could be a form of journalism? It is informing about events, issues and slices of life. I dunno if it is 'gonzo' though. Its not drug addled enough.
But I guess I am the main character of a subjective endeavour. (kicked under table) Ow, my wife is too I suppose. But unlike gonzo, my style is less about a surreal, stream of consciousness monologue and more about the selection of detail, that to me, paints a picture of the madness that goes on here. But the blog IS self indulgent enough to be a form of subjective gonzo-ness I suppose....I dunno...
Maybe this blog is about as relevant as this form of Gonzo:

Off to get 'uppers' ie caffiene

No comments:
Post a Comment