Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thriller


So Sunday October 31st is Halloween, obviously. But it is also Tanzanian Election Day. The culmination of months of campaigning, loud vehicles driving around with speakers and gold/green vs blue/red/white festooned punters and flags everywhere.

Tension between the two main parties is running high. Cases of violence between supporters of these parties have been reported in several places including Moshi (stronghold of the challenging party). A stabbing in one part of Tanzania, riot police using tear gas and pepper spray to restore calm during rallies in other areas.

We've been advised-sensibly-to keep low profiles on the Sunday. If there is to be any trouble it could happen during counting and tallying of votes around 6pm Sunday.

But Tanzania tends to be peaceful and all the past elections have been largely peaceful.

Of course what is really on my mind is how am I going to 'trick or treat' Sunday night if I am trying to avoid angry mobs? Surely they wouldn't attack a guy in a bed sheet ghost costume with a candy basket...

I just pray for a peaceful, fair election and lots of candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment